In 1944 a public meeting was held in Oxshott in response to the wishes of the whole community to express their gratitude to those who were serving in the Second World War. At that meeting a resolution was passed to Establish a Trust Fund to build a Village Centre for the "benefit of the inhabitants of Oxshott".
A Management Committee of Trustees, consisting of representatives of local organisations, was appointed to run the centre for the promotion of social, recreational and cultural activities.
Building restrictions and a lack of funds in the immediate aftermath of the war delayed the opening of the Centre until 1962. In 1985 a side extension was added to enable the local doctors to open The Oxshott Medical Practice.
The Centre is still run on a voluntary basis by a Management Committee of Trustees representing local organisations.